Treatment for Obesity
Obesity is a chronic medical condition which if not addressed will have significant medical complications. Generally, the criteria for surgical weight loss procedures is a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or greater; or,BMI of 35 or greater if the patient has associated medical conditions that are related to obesity.
The three medical and surgical weight-loss options are the Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (LAP-BAND), Sleeve Gastrectomy, and Gastric Bypass. All three are offered at Lovelace Westside Hospital. Surgery for weight loss is not a quick fix but a journey and lifestyle change.
Each individual should clearly understand what the proposed journey involves. Talk with your primary care physician and attend one of our no-cost seminars to learn more about your medical weight-loss options.
Bariatric surgery may be right for you if:
- Your BMI is 40 or higher
- Your BMI is 35 or higher and also suffer from one or more health problems such as Type II diabetes or hypertension, osteoarthritis, or sleep apnea
- You have been overweight for more than five years
- Your serious attempts to lose weight have had only short-term success
- You do not have any other disease that may have caused your obesity
- You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle
- You are willing to continue being monitored by the specialist who is treating you
- You do not drink alcohol in excess