About the LAP-BAND®
Without any stomach cutting or stapling, the LAP-BAND® System reduces your stomach’s capacity, restricting the amount of food you are able to eat at one time. Plus, you feel full faster and stay full longer, so you wind up eating less. This helps you gradually lose weight and keep it off. So you can live a healthier life – for your children, your family and yourself.
LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System
This procedure is a minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopic) that involves applying the LAP-BAND® around the stomach, thereby creating a small gastric pouch which restricts or narrows the opening to the rest of the stomach.
The advantages of the LAP-BAND® surgery include:
- Reduced surgical trauma and pain
- Less invasive to the abdominal wall (requires small incisions)
- Less invasive to the stomach (no cutting or stapling of the organ is needed)
- Shorter hospitalization than standard surgery (usually an outpatient procedure)
- Anatomy and function of the stomach and small bowel remains intact (does not bypass portions of the stomach or small intestines)
- Individual patient needs are met by inflation or deflation of the adjustable band
- Fully reversible by simply removing the band